Every year, thousands of promising athletes give up sports forever due to sports injury. As per statistics, 1.35 million youths a year have serious sports injuries in USA. According to Consumer Product Safety Commission of USA, basketball cause the most injuries by average 119,589 injuries per year.
Top 10 sports ranked based on the incidence of sports injuries (In USA)
- American Football
- Wrestling/boxing/martial arts
- Ice hockey
10 Most Common Sports Injuries
- Patellofemoral Syndrome (Knee injuries)
- Shoulder Injury
- Tennis or Golf Elbow
- Hamstring Strain
- Sciatica (lower-back pain)
- Shin Splints
- Groin Pull
- ACL or anterior cruciate ligament Tear
- Hip Flexor Strain
Unfortunately, India does not have a proper statistics regarding sports injuries. But it is terrifying that many Indian athletes leave the sports field every year without realizing their dream to reach the top podiums of the sports they like, just because of sports injuries. Many great athletes such as Ayrton Senna (Brazilian F1 driver), Raman Lamba (Indian cricketer) and Phil Hughes (Australian Cricketer) lost their life in the sports fields due fatal sports injuries. We need more effective sport gears and sporting practices to reduce the incidence of sports injuries.
SPORTS ENGINEERING IN SPORTS SAFETY
2018 is the 20th anniversary of SPORTS ENGINEERING and theme of the year is “Sports Engineering in Sports Safety”.
The 20th anniversary celebrations of sports engineering will start on February 20 2018, the SPORTS SAFETY DAY. In 20-02-1998, a cricket ball hit on the temple of former Indian cricketer Raman Lamba while fielding in the Bangladesh league cricket. Lamba died on 23-02-1998. Every year we celebrate February 20 as sports safety day to create awareness about sports injuries. In 2018, we are planning the following activities to propagate the importance of sports safety with your cooperation.
- Social media campaign: Please post sports safety messages in your social media pages.
- Conduct different awareness campaigns among sports lovers.
- Include sports safety and sports injury awareness messages in your sports goods package.
- Exhibit sports safety posters and hoardings in schools, colleges, stadiums, parks and playgrounds.
- Conduct sports first aid workshops for coaches, players and parents
- Our sports engineering students are working to design safety apparels for jallikettu.
We invite your cooperation and support in reducing the incidence of sports injuries by observing sports safety day and by creating more awareness about sports injuries. We are happy to associate with you in making sports more happier and safer. Please feel free to contact us for any support.