Kambala & Maramadi Grand Prix
In his recent address to the nation, Shri Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India insisted Indian’s be the VOCAL FOR LOCAL brands. Inspired by his message for being the VOCAL FOR LOCAL, Sports & Management Research Institute (SMRI), the premier sports management and sports engineering institute initiates ASLI INDIAN SPORTS. It is a platform for promoting Indian sports locally and globally. It aims to commercialize Indian local sports to create employment and revenue through various initiatives.
Under the ASLI INDIAN platform, SMRI initiates the project to create PROFESSIONAL KAMBALA GRANDS PRIX for the buffalo race and PROFESSIONAL MARAMADI GRANDS PRIX for the bull race.
Kambala is an annual buffalo race held in the coastal districts of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi of Karnataka and Kasaragod of Kerala. The Kambala season generally starts in November and lasts until March. The Kambalas are organized through Kambala samithis (Kambala Associations), of which there are currently 18. Over 45 races are held annually.
Maramadi is a type of bullock race conducted in Indian state Kerala. It is also known as Kalappoottu, or Kannutheli. The race is a traditional event held after the monsoon but before the cattle are needed for planting.
Presently, these events are organized independently. We aim to bring these tournaments under one umbrella (different for Kambala and Maramadi) to:
- Create more spectators and revenue for the tournaments
- Explore the possibilities of broadcasting revenue
- Create Kambala /Maramadi racing tracks in cities like Bengaluru to attract urban population and the new generation to the farm games
- Ensure better income and sports star status to buffalo and bullock jockeys
- Bring uniformity and homologation in games by preserving the uniqueness
- Ensure animal-friendly games by developing new rules and tools like a pain-free whip
- Give a better sporting experience to the spectators by giving them amenities like bleachers and luxury boxes
- Create more revenue for organizers through broadcasting, sponsorship, merchandising, gate receipts and hospitality sales.
- Promote Sports Tourism through Kambala Grands Prix and Maramadi Grands Prix
- Support the development of farm games
The individual tournaments (shall be called Grand Prix Eg: KADRI KAMBALA GRAND PRIX, ANANDHAPPALLI MARAMADI GRAND PRIX) shall be conducted by the present organizers under the mutually agreed terms and conditions for the organization, risk sharing and revenue sharing. The umbrella organization shall support the individual organizers in professionalizing the tournaments and shall set guidelines for animal-friendly training and competition.
SMRI is in discussion with the various stakeholders of the game to organize a formal meeting to discuss the formation of an umbrella organization and to create the business plan for KAMBALA GRANDS PRIX and MARAMADI GRANDS PRIX. The experts of SMRI will guide and handhold the project.
If you are interested in this project and would like to work with SMRI to make it a reality, please call 9633221220.