December 3, 2016 - 9:00 am
December 3, 2016 - 5:30 pm
NATIONAL SPORTS ENGINEERING PRODUCT DESIGN CONTEST
‘1983’ is a wonderful Malayalam sports movie. Rameshan, the protagonist of this movie is a great cricket fan and he makes a low cost indigenous BOWLING MACHINE for his son Kannan, who dreams to be the next SACHIN TENDULKAR with the help of his father. Rameshan was not rich enough to buy a modern foreign bowling machine for his son. But his love to cricket, engineering acumen and determination to make his son next Sachin, helped him to make ‘DESI BOWLING MACHINE’.
Thousands of kids across India want to be the next SACHIN in their domain of game. Their parents want to help their kids to realize their dreams. But unfortunately the MONEY plays the role of villain in their way to pursue their dreams. High cost of available sporting machines or unavailability of machines they really need make it difficult for Indian sports persons to stretch their maximum to unleash their full potential and maximum performance.
Sports & Management Research Institute (SMRI), the first Sports Management and Sports Engineering Research Institute in India works to make India a sports superpower and believes that advanced low cost sporting machines are a must to enhance the performance of Indian athletes. The NATIONAL SPORTS ENGINEERING PRODUCT DESIGN CONTEST 2016 aims to engage and inspire sports loving students and public with engineering acumen to dream, design and develop low cost desi Sporting Machines to make India Sports Superpower.
SMRI invites sports loving students and public with engineering acumen to participate in the National Sports Engineering Sporting Machine Design Competition 2016 with innovative, low cost DESI sporting machine designs or prototype or final product. The product should be a low cost one. It is not compulsory that the product is new to the world. You can copy the model of an existing foreign product, but the improved product should be ‘economical’ to our athletes. Improvement in existing design, innovation to reduce the production cost etc. will also be considered. The contest will be in the following categories:
- Bowling Machine: Rameshan’s bowling machine was just amazing. But, the machine is not available in market. If you can dream, design and develop such a bowling machine that will help thousands of future cricketers.
- Slingshot Alley: Interactive Slingshot Alley is a different version of 10 pin bowling alley. In Slingshot alley, the 10 pin and balls will be replaced by interactive target screen and slingshot. Moreover, Slingshot Alley comes with an amazing business model. Visit www.smri.in/project/slingshot to know more about the Slingshot Alley.
- Low Cost Timing Machine: The cost of existing timing machines makes it very difficult for sports managers to organize regular sporting events. If you can dream, design and develop a low cost timing machine using RFID, GPS or any other technology, and integrates player data, it will help the sports managers to organize regular competitions with less investment and limited manpower. Moreover, this machine will give accurate results in sports events which involve speed. Visit www.smri.in/project/run4u to know more about the timing machine requirements.
- DESI Football: Adidas is the official football maker of FIFA. The sports engineering department of Loughborough University of UK designs new football models for Adidas. Brazuca, the football of 2014 world cup was manufactured in Pakistan. Jabulani, the ball of 2010 world cup was manufactured in China. But, the warm up matches of 2014 world cup was played with footballs manufactured in India. It shows India’s possibilities to compete with Pakistan and China to make football for next world cup. If you can dream some significant changes in existing football models sometimes that may help us to develop a DESI football and will get a chance to make football for 2022 World Cup.
- Your Own IDEA: The above mentioned ideas are originated from the classrooms of Sports & Management Research Institute (SMRI). If you can dream, design and develop, a different DESI SPORTING MACHINE which is not mentioned above, you are welcome with your idea. The idea must be just related to Sports or must be a product that helps the mobility of differently abled persons such as low cost automated wheelchair.
- Contest is open to all. People across the world can participate. But, if the idea is selected for implementation, it will be manufactured in India.
- The presentation of the idea should be in English only.
- You can participate as an individual or team
- Registration fee for the individual is Rs.500 and for team Rs.400 per team member
- The last date of submitting the abstract of the idea: October 31, 2016
- The last date of submitting the complete proposal/prototype documents of shortlisted ideas: November 20, 2016
- Date of Contest & presentation: December 3, 2016
The venue of the DESI 2016 will be Thiruvananthapuram/Ernakulam. Apart from contestants, researchers, students and investors are invited to be part of the contest.
In the first round, the abstract will be screened and the contestants will be interviewed by the sports engineering expert through skype. The ideas shortlisted in the first round will be judged by a team of noted athletes, sports engineers and technocrats during DESI 2016 contest. Their judgement will be final.
Prizes and Way forward:
- All the technically feasible and financially viable ideas selected for implementation will be awarded 10,000 each
- If the owner of the idea likes to start a company to manufacture and market his idea, idea will be presented to seed funding agencies such as KSIDC and will be promoted in crowd funding platforms for financial assistance.
- If the owner of the idea likes to share his/her idea with other companies, idea will be presented to the companies which like to manufacture and market such products.
Rules & Regulations:
- Open to all Indians without age limits
- Design ideas must be original or the process of manufacturing must be different and low cost and has not yet to be commercialized, displayed or shown to any manufacturer.
- The following persons are NOT eligible to participate in the Competition:
- Permanent employees of the Organiser including their respective immediate family members, meaning parents, spouse, children and siblings.
- Representatives and/or agents (including advertising agents and Competition management agents) of the Organiser, including their respective immediate family members, meaning parents, spouse, children and siblings.
- The organizer has the right to reject and revoke any entries and prizes, if they are found to have not original or commercialized one.
- The organiser cannot be held liable and responsible for any damages, claims and loss of ideas before and after the competition.
- Design protection according to the Intellectual Property Rights Act – All participants are encouraged to register their designs under the Intellectual Property Act and to keep all documentations as proof of ownerships before sending and exposing their design to the organiser.
- Selected designs will be kept for the promotion and documentation purposes.
- The winners will be notified via phone or email and/or major newspapers or any other means of communication deemed fit by the Organiser based on the details furnished during the participation. The Organiser shall not be held liable in the event that the winners cannot be contacted for whatever reasons. The Organiser shall not be held liable in the event of non-receipt or delayed delivery of any notification to the winner(s).
- If the winners failed to respond to the notification within one month the prize will be forfeited.
- The Organiser reserves the right to withdraw the prizes in the event that the winners do not comply with the Competition terms and conditions.
- The organiser will inform any participants if their submission is selected for commercialisation and they also have the right to receive any compensation based on the agreement between both parties.
- Unsuccessful submission can be collected from the organiser within one month after the winning announcement. Any unclaimed submission after that will be disposed.
- Participation in this Competition and acceptance of the prizes constitutes an irrevocable permission for the Organiser to use the winners’ names and photographs for purposes of publicity and advertisement without any compensation or need for prior notification to the winners.
- The Organiser shall not be responsible nor shall bear any liabilities of whatsoever nature and however arising or suffered by the participants and/or third parties resulting directly or indirectly from the Competition and/or the Prizes. Winners shall assume full liability and responsibility in case of any liability, mishap, injury, damage, claim or accidents (including death) resulting from their participation in this Competition, redemption and/or utilisation of prizes.
- By participating in this Competition, participants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, and all decisions by the Organiser are final and binding. The Organiser reserves the right to change, amend, add or delete any of these Terms and Conditions without prior notice at any time and participants shall be bound by such changes.
- The Organiser decision on all matters relating to this Competition shall be final, conclusive and binding. The Organiser is not obligated to give any reasons on any matter in the Competition.
Share your great ideas to make India, Sports Superpower!!