There is an engineer in every heart. Surely, a sports engineer.
Sports Engineering is relatively a new specialized branch in engineering, which is started just 20 years back. In 1998, Sports engineering became an independent discipline due to the efforts of Prof. Steve Haake and Sheffield Hallam University of United Kingdom. The Establishment of International Sports Engineering Association (ISEA) officially heralded the beginning of a new era in sports and engineering- Sports engineering.
In simple words, Sports engineering is the art and science of designing, making and maintaining of different sports goods, sports infrastructure and other supportive products. But, in deeper sense, sports engineering studies the scientific aspects of sports performance by analysing the performance of athletes, sports goods and other materials influencing the sports performance with the objective of enhancing the sporting experience in all aspect. Sports engineering includes a wide range of subjects related to sports in its wings. The following picture will give you a brief idea about various segments coming under sports engineering.
The following session gives the details of each segments
- Sports Gears-Balls, bats, rackets, stumps, nets. Protective gears such as helmet and mouth guard etc.
- Sports Accessories- Sports coaching equipments such as cones and Markers, Speed ladders, agility and other items such as ball bag
- Sporting tools- Different equipments to prepare sports field such as aerators, bunkers and field rakes and reel movers.
- Sports Apparels – Active wear, swim suit, tracksuit etc.,
- Fitness Equipments- Treadmills, Elliptical, home gym, Dumbbells, fitness balls, bars, ropes, kettlebells etc.,
- Parks and Playground Equipment – Play systems, swings, slides, motion spinners, climbers, trails etc.,
- Amusement Parks- Carousel ride, Park rides, Kids Park, ride, mini train.
- Circus- Various equipment’s used for circus performance such as acrobatic equipments, balance ladders, rolla bolla, mini cycles, slack lives, trick lives etc.
- Sports Broadcasting- The complete sports broadcasting process and different types of cameras and special equipments required for sports broadcasting.
- Sports Infrastructure- Stadium, playgrounds, golf course, swimming pools and sports tracks.
- Sports Flooring- Different type of materials sport flooring such as natural grass, artificial grass, astro turf, synthetic, wood, rubber, acrylic, clay, concreate etc.
- Sports Lighting – Designing, implementing and maintaining Lightening system based on the requirement different games and different locations.
- Sports Acoustics – Designing, implementing and maintaining Sound system based on the requirement different games and different locations.
- Sports Vehicles – Various vetches used for sports competition such as sports cycles, bikes, cars and boats.
- Sports Technology – Various technology used in sports for making sports more accurate and interesting such as timing solutions, hawk eye, goal line technology and snick-o meter.
- Toys and play things – Different types of toys and play things including Montessori toys, construction toys, puzzles, gaming boards, playing cards etc.,
- Sports Seating – Different type of seats using in sports areas including bleachers and benches, and style of seats such as floor mounted, riser mounted and tier mounted.
Sports Engineers across the world engage in research to improve the quality of sports by improving the quality of different items coming in the spectrum of sports. Sports Engineering is growing rapidly along with the growth of global sports industry.